Home | Contact | FAQs | View Cart

Hate Crime

Anti terrorist leaflet

Anti -Terrorist Hotline: 0800 789 321


All political parties have agreed upon a motion rejecting any form of anti Semitism, racism, sexism, homophobia and other hate crimes.

Here is what you can DO if you believe you are a victim of hate crime.

Report to the police, including in the subject heading e.g. (HATE CRIME: ANTI SEMITISM)

Emphasise you are making a complaint. The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) may or may not decide to take up the case. This can depend on the probability of obtaining a conviction. IF the CPS decides not to pursue a case, demand a

  1. VICTIMS RIGHT TO REVIEW. However, the second decision may confirm the first and the CPS will not pursue the case.  Therefore, apply for a
  2. JUDICIAL REVIEW.  A judge will review and decide if the case was just. However, this option is sparingly used, expensive and time consuming. If the case is won, a precedent is set and can be applied more broadly. A final option is
  3. PRIVATE PROSECUTION. However, the complainant funds the prosecution and therefore the risk and burden of finance is also on the complainant. The CPS can decide to take up the case, but then drop it, in which case it cannot be re opened. A benefit of a PP is that the process and decision making can expose and publicise the case as well as forcing transparency. A decision is forced, but this may go against you and is final i.e. there are no further legal channels to be explored.  

If you lose, under Common Law, once a precedent is set this can negatively impact all other decisions.

The RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH must be upheld. However, the police must consider a balance between freedom of speech and safety, security and the maintenance of public order. You do not have the right to attend a conference, talk, lecture etc. There is something called the ‘HECKLER’S VETO’ – a heckler can be evicted IF, despite the right to free speech, public order is at risk. 

If you have any information regarding hate crime call Brent Police on 0300 123 1212 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.   mapesbury.snt@met.police.uk